Closed courtrooms

Supreme Court says jury selections should be open

Amanda Becker | Secret Courts | Feature | January 19, 2010
Feature
January 19, 2010

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that Georgia's high court incorrectly upheld a trial judge's decision that the public could be barred from jury selection in a drug trial, ruling that jury selection in criminal trials is presumptively open and judges must consider alternatives to closure.

Judges make openness calls in two police officer trials

Amanda Becker | Secret Courts | Quicklink | January 8, 2010
Quicklink
January 8, 2010

An Illinois judge has decided that a hearing during which prosecutors describe their case against a police officer charged with drowning his third wife will be open to the public, Chicago's BreakingNewsCenter reported.

Washington Post asks for Blackwater hearing transcript

Amanda Becker | Secret Courts | Quicklink | January 5, 2010
Quicklink
January 5, 2010

The Washington Post has asked for the transcripts of the closed hearings that led to the dismissal of the government's case against five former Blackwater employees accused of killing Iraqi civilians, Politico reports.

Judge Ricardo M. Urbina, the judge who threw out the charges against the five former employees on Dec. 31, had previously rejected the Post's request that the hearings be opened to the media.

Justice Department moves to close Blackwater hearing

Rory Eastburg | Secret Courts | Quicklink | December 21, 2009
Quicklink
December 21, 2009

The Justice Department has asked a judge to close a Jan. 7 hearing in the prosecution of five security guards charged with killing more than a dozen Iraqi civilians, The National Law Journal reported. The security guards worked for Blackwater Worldwide, now known as Xe, at the time of the shootings.

Judge closes hearings on Blackwater killings

Rory Eastburg | Secret Courts | Quicklink | October 14, 2009
Quicklink
October 14, 2009

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., today refused The Washington Post’s request to open the pretrial proceedings in the manslaughter prosecution of five security guards who were charged in an attack that left more than a dozen civilians dead in Baghdad.

The security guards were working for Blackwater Worldwide, now known as Xe, in 2007 when they allegedly participated in the unprovoked attack that killed 14 civilians and wounded 20 more.

Press excluded from testimony in judge's prosecution

Rory Eastburg | Secret Courts | Quicklink | September 24, 2009
Quicklink
September 24, 2009

A Washington state judge overseeing a criminal case against another judge excluded the press from the courtroom during deposition testimony Monday, The News Tribune in Tacoma reported.

Court orders secret arguments on military detentions

Rory Eastburg | Secret Courts | Quicklink | September 16, 2009
Quicklink
September 16, 2009

The U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C. this week decided to exclude the public from oral arguments concerning the legality of military detentions, The Blog of Legal Times reports.  

Dentist asks court to exclude media from abuse trial

Rory Eastburg | Secret Courts | Quicklink | January 2, 2009
Quicklink
January 2, 2009

A California dentist on trial for allegedly fondling more than a dozen patients has moved to exclude the press from the entirety of his trial, the Sacramento Bee reports.

Michael Rothschild, attorney for defendant Mark Anderson, filed a one-sentence motion asking the court to “exclude all media from all trial proceedings, including but not limited to jury selection, opening statement and witness testimony, in this matter.”

Court says judge should not have closed 'Jena Six' hearings

Jordan Zappala | Secret Courts | Feature | November 7, 2008
Feature
November 7, 2008

A Louisiana appeals court ruled this week that the juvenile court proceedings of one of the teenagers involved in the high-profile "Jena Six" case was improperly closed to the public.

Government responds to media in largely hidden El Paso case

Jason Wiederin | Secret Courts | Feature | September 9, 2008
Feature
September 9, 2008

In response to a media group’s push for greater access to a sweeping public corruption investigation in El Paso, Texas, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Texas agreed Tuesday to make available some redacted transcripts, but opposed any broader order forcing transparency in the case.