Leaks

Travel writer subpoenaed after publishing TSA security directive

Amanda Becker | Reporter's Privilege | Quicklink | December 30, 2009
Quicklink
December 30, 2009

The author of a popular syndicated travel column was subpoenaed by the Department of Homeland Security after publishing a new security directive issued after the recent attempt to blow up a Northwest Airlines flight into Detroit on Christmas Day.

Court rules personal e-mail sent from work account is private

Cristina Abello | Privacy | Quicklink | December 14, 2009
Quicklink
December 14, 2009

The D.C. federal district court ruled Thursday that a U.S. attorney’s personal e-mail correspondence, sent from his work account, was private and cannot be used to bolster former Justice Department attorney Richard Convertino’s lawsuit against the government, The National Law Journal reported.

Federal judge orders release of Cheney's leak interview

Ansley Schrimpf | Freedom of Information | Quicklink | October 1, 2009
Quicklink
October 1, 2009

Most of the FBI's interview of former Vice President Dick Cheney about the leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's identity must be released to the public, a federal judge ordered today.

Baltimore cop's First Amendment suit revived

Kathleen Cullinan | Newsgathering | Feature | April 3, 2009
Feature
April 3, 2009

A former Baltimore police official's lawsuit, alleging his free-speech rights were violated when he was fired after leaking a memo to a newspaper, was revived Thursday in a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals in Richmond (4th Cir.).

AP seeks access to Pa. judge's grand jury leak probe

Kathleen Cullinan | Secret Courts | Quicklink | August 18, 2008
Quicklink
August 18, 2008

The Associated Press wants a Pennsylvania judge to open up his inquiry into grand jury leaks from a casino owner's perjury case, in an ongoing matter that has so far seen more than a dozen subpoenas of reporters sent out, and then quashed.

Deputy poses as Newsweek reporter to ID anonymous source

Kathleen Cullinan | Newsgathering | Feature | August 18, 2008
Feature
August 18, 2008

A sheriff's deputy in North Carolina posed as a Newsweek reporter to coax an anonymous source out of a local newspaper journalist. And it worked.

In a case of scandal climbing atop scandal, the deputy got The (Jacksonville) Daily News reporter Lindell Kay to hand over the phone number of a source in a high-profile homicide case, leading to criminal charges against an intern in the local district attorney's office.

Lawyer wanted subpoenaed reporters' cell phone numbers

Stacey Laskin | Reporter's Privilege | Quicklink | July 7, 2008
Quicklink
July 7, 2008

A lawyer investigating a grand jury leak turned to Pennsylvania state legislative staffers to get the cell phone numbers of at least eight reporters already subpoenaed in the case, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Senate Minority Leader Robert J. Mellow said it was a routine constituent service for his staff to help attorney Sal Cognetti find cell numbers of reporters subpoenaned in an investigation involving his client.

Reporter subpoenaed to identify confidential source

Matthew Pollack | Reporter's Privilege | Quicklink | May 30, 2008
Quicklink
May 30, 2008

U.S. District Court Judge Cormac Carney ordered Washington Times reporter William Gertz to identify the confidential sources who provided information for a 2006 story he wrote about the prosecution of a Chinese spy ring in California.

In the story, Gertz correctly reported that new charges would be filed against Chi Mak, an engineer who worked for several American defense contractors, and several of his relatives. 

Swiss bank drops suit against Wikileaks

Alanna Malone | Prior Restraints | Quicklink | March 6, 2008
Quicklink
March 6, 2008

Less than a week after U.S. District Judge Jeffrey S. White lifted an injunction against the whistleblower Web site Wikileaks, the Swiss bank dropped its lawsuit.

Julius Baer and Co. said it reserved the right to pursue its case at a later date in the same court or elsewhere.

Leaks Web site ordered shut down

Corinna Zarek | Prior Restraints | Reaction | February 19, 2008
Reaction
February 19, 2008

Last week a federal judge ordered a Web site that posts leaked material to disable itself entirely before coming back to say it only needed to stop posting certain documents related to a case brought by a Cayman Islands bank.