Join us at 8 p.m. ET on September 28, 2021 for a vibrant and engaging virtual celebration of our 50th anniversary and the Freedom of the Press Awards! Click here to register for the event.
We look forward to recognizing the outstanding achievements of our honorees:
- J. Scott Applewhite, senior photojournalist at The Associated Press;
- Theodore J. Boutrous, Jr., media law attorney and partner at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP;
- Julie K. Brown, investigative journalist for The Miami Herald;
- Amal Clooney, co-founder and president, Clooney Foundation for Justice;
- Jane Mayer, staff writer and chief Washington correspondent for The New Yorker; and
- Rising Star Award winner Laura Moscoso, data journalist at the Puerto Rico Center for Investigative Journalism.
The Fred Graham Distinguished Service Award will be presented to Tony Mauro, Contributor at ALM Media Properties, LLC, and Saundra Torry, Retired Member of USA TODAY’S Editorial Board, for their outstanding commitment to the Reporters Committee over the years.
This engaging virtual celebration of our 50th anniversary and the annual Freedom of the Press Awards will raise significant funds to support the pro bono work of the Reporters Committee. We provide critical legal services to thousands of journalists and newsrooms across the United States and your contributions fuel that work.
Register to join us!
We look forward to celebrating with you! Registration for the Reporters Committee’s 50th anniversary and the Freedom of the Press Awards is free and open to all. By registering, you sign up to receive the link for the virtual event and occasional updates by email. If you’d like to support the Reporters Committee’s work with a gift, please do so here.
This year’s Freedom of the Press Awards are generously presented by:
Presenting Sponsor: Microsoft
Co-Chairs: Amanda Bennett; Donald E. Graham, Chairman, Graham Holdings; Norman Pearlstine; Brad Smith, President, Microsoft; and Steven R. Swartz, President & CEO, Hearst
Anniversary Champion: Chan Soon-Shiong Family Foundation
Legacy Champion: Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, Donald Graham and Amanda Bennett, Hearst
Advocate Sponsors: Anonymous, The Associated Press, CNN, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, Reuters, The Washington Post