Seven years after the Sept. 11 attacks, The Palm Beach Post reports, a federal court order still bans the release of the Florida state driving records of the alleged hijackers. Even the order itself is under seal — a court clerk recently told the newspaper "it was part of a grand jury investigation and can be unsealed only by another court order."
"Why are records showing how many times people ran red lights or were caught speeding still sealed, years after they killed themselves and thousands of others?" The Post asks. "Is the grand jury still operating? And when will the driving records be unsealed? If ever?"
Post requests for the documents have been rejected three times over the years. The newspaper says it appealed the most recent rejection and got about 250 pages, but most of it had already been made public or came heavily redacted.