Every year, on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, nonprofits and charities celebrate Giving Tuesday, the global day of giving back. And today, we’re asking you to join our Giving Tuesday campaign to raise $20,000 for our mission to provide pro bono legal representation, amicus curiae support, and other legal resources to protect First Amendment freedoms and the newsgathering rights of journalists.
And we’re excited to share that if you make a gift today, Cristine Russell and Ben Heineman, long-time Reporters Committee supporters, will match every dollar.
What will my gift support?
This year we’ve worked hard to protect press freedom so that reporters can bring you the news and information you need. Here’s a look at what we’ve been up to:
- We’ve continued to stand up and speak out for reporters who were arrested or assaulted for doing their jobs, and denounce dangerous threats and rhetoric promoting violence against reporters.
- We helped strengthen Department of Justice guidelines to protect reporters and quickly mobilized to meet with agency officials to prevent the DOJ from weakening its guidelines to make it easier to force journalists to reveal their sources.
- We’ve litigated important cases relating to leaks investigations brought by the Obama administration and prevailed in numerous efforts to fight court secrecy, including one just last week to unseal settlement records in a lawsuit involving the Trump Organization.
- We’ve submitted briefs in key cases that could affect First Amendment freedoms, including one that will be argued before the Supreme Court this week involving warrantless access to cellphone records.
- And we’re investing in growing our capacity to work with even more journalists — including documentary filmmakers — when they need us.
Your donation on Giving Tuesday is important to helping us continue this work and more. And remember, every dollar you give today will be matched by Cristine Russell and Ben Heineman, immediately doubling the impact of your gift!
“It has been an amazing ride, watching the Committee’s terrific work grow over the years and make such a difference to working journalists around the country,” Russell said. Russell served on the Steering Committee of the Reporters Committee for more than three decades. “Ben and I are thrilled to support the Reporters Committee in this campaign, and the work they do every day, and we hope you’ll join us.”
How can I make a gift?
Your gift means a lot to us, and to the reporters we work with. We couldn’t do any of this without you, so on behalf of the team at the Reporters Committee, thank you for your support!