Skip to content

South Dakota Legislator Wants to Delay Record of Birth – and Death.

Post categories

  1. Freedom of Information
· Story link

· Story link

Want to know who was born, or died, or got married or divorced? Just stop by your neighborhood courthouse and check the public records. Except in South Dakota, if SB41 passes. In that case, check back in a few yeard, say 100. A legislator there figures a lengthy delay in the availability of public records is a good way to prevent identity theft. The 100 year gap is for birth records. You could obtain a marriage record in virtually no time at all – 50 years. (1/28/05)